Emergency Regent Park Community Meeting - Regent Park Neighbourhood Association Community Benefits Coalition
Dear Regent Park residents,
Please join us for an important emergency community meeting next week on Thursday - November 18th from 6 - 8:30 pm.
- A Rezoning Plan: We have recently learned that TCHC and Tridel will be submitting a rezoning application to the City that will change existing plans for the final phases of the redevelopment. What we know so far is that this new plan will include greater density, higher towers, and delays to construction, as well as possible new amenities, like a library branch and community owned space. There are a number of potential pros and cons to this rezoning application, and it is critical for everyone to get involved so that community voices are heard and duly considered as part of this decision.
- A Community Benefits Arrangement: We have been working hard as a community over the past three years to make sure that substantial community benefits are part of the redevelopment plan for phases 4/5. As a result of that effort, over $26 million was secured for community benefits in the new contract between TCHC and Tridel. We want to update you on where we are at with our efforts to create a tri-party community benefits agreement that will ensure that residents are a full partner in deciding how this money is spent.
The purpose of this meeting is to provide you with more details about all of the above, answer any questions you might have, hear your thoughts, and make sure that all residents have the information they need to be part of these important decisions.
In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact us. We would love to hear from you.
We are stronger together.
Time: Nov 18, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 836 4317 9205
One tap mobile
Dial by your location
+1 647 374 4685 Canada
+1 647 558 0588 Canada
+1 778 907 2071 Canada
+1 204 272 7920 Canada
+1 438 809 7799 Canada
+1 587 328 1099 Canada
Meeting ID: 836 4317 9205
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kekpSv3g2B
About RPNA’s Community Benefits Coalition
The Coalition was formed by the Regent Park Neighborhood Association (RPNA) comprised of TCHC and Condo residents, with support from local community organizations and the Toronto Community Benefits Network (TCBN). The Coalition is working with community members, community groups and organizations to leverage equitable local economic development opportunities and community benefits from Regent Park’s last phases of revitalization.
The Coalition’s purpose is to improve the revitalization Request for Proposal (RFP) process by demanding a seat at the table with TCHC to ensure community benefits requirements with hard targets and increased transparency for Phases 4 & 5 of revitalization in Regent Park. Through these efforts, the Coalition wants TCHC and the developer partner to set up key infrastructure that will continue to support the community for years to come and the means to hold them accountable through a legally binding Community Benefits Agreement.
Marlene DeGenova (RPNA, Advocacy Co-Chair)
Ines Garcia (RPNA, Advocacy Co-Chair)
Ismail Afrah (RPNA Delegate/Staff)
Miguel Avila-Velarde (RPNA Delegate)
Sureya Ibrahim (RPNA Delegate)
Toronto Community Housing - Regent Park Community Benefits Townhall
The Community Benefits Framework Agreement:
- Highlights key principles and values for the revitalization process
- Secures TCHC commitments to the use of the Community Priorities report themes in negotiations with selected developer partner
- Outlines roles and responsibilities of TCHC, City of Toronto and Coalition throughout Phase 4 + 5 revitalization
- Identifies how the selected developer will engage the community to co-develop a Community Benefits Plan that will be formalized into a legally binding agreement